Magarini Community development Programme (MACODEP) is an initiative of the Magarini division professionals and progressive youth with diverse knowledge and skills in various fields.
Magarini is one of the poorest division of coast province within Malindi district yet it is endowed with enormous natural resources. Magarini division
|Lat (DMS)||3° 1′ 60S||Long (DMS)||40° 4′ 0E||Altitude (meters)||124|
|Time zone (est)||UTC+3|
source: wikipedia:- http://www.fallingrain.com/world/KE/2/Magarini.html
The programme is suppossed to advance a multi-faceted development agenda that encompases; Agricultural development, Tourism development, HIV/AIDS advocacy, civil education, career developments, social cohession and conflict resolutions amongs others.
The programme profile and constitution is here below;
MACODEP- Magarini community development program
Community empowerment for sustainable development
MACODEP was founded in the year 2008 and registered as a community based organization and later registered as a local NGO.
The driving force behind the establishment of the programme was the overwhelming desire by professionals and stakeholders in Magarini to positively engage in community development agenda. A close look at of Magarini division reveals some realities that do not augur well with the human aspirations of the communities inhabiting the Magarini division.
These range from poor access to essential services such as health, education, gender disparities, environmental degradation, escalation of HIV/AIDS pandemic, lack of modern ways of agriculture, lack of empowerment, lack of clean water and lack of access to information which hinders development.
Thus our basis is anchored in realization that through better organization, coordination and leveraging of both local and external resources communities can surmount these challenges. The reality is that, the division is endowed with diverse resources but still is the poorest in Malindi district with 66.96 poverty estimate (Action Aid, may 2006).
To have a society that is undertaking participatory beneficial equitable and sustainable development as a way of life.
To empower the Magarini community so that it can be fully involved in participative proper decision making and good governance of their socio-economic development initiatives on sustainable basis.
The programme aims at reaching the needy masses through training and support to enable them identify their pressing needs and assist them tap the avaible resources in addressing their needs. The ultimate goal is to empower the community to be self reliant by undertaking poverty alleviating development initiatives on their own.
- To raise, mobilize and disburse funds and other resources for the promotion of sustainable development.
- To enhance capacity building among development agencies.
- To promote networking with other relevant organizations and institutions.
- To promote participatory planning among development agencies in sustainable development agencies in sustainable development.
- To advocate for the rights of vulnerable members of the community.
- To undertake research on available resources for sustainable development.
- To promote indigenous techniques, knowledge and skills that enhances the application of appropriate technologies.
- To promote and encourage youth/women participation in socio-economic activities.
- To create awareness of and encourage conflict resolution and peace building initiatives.
- To support community development programmes that relate to health, environment, literacy, water conservation and management and infrastructure development.
- To enter into any arrangement with government or authorities that may seem conducive to the organizations, objectives or any of them and to obtain from such government or authority any rights, privileges and concessions which the organization may think desirable to obtain.
- To apply to any government or authority, public bodies, corporations, companies or persons for and to accept grants or gifts of money and any moveable or immovable, property, donations, gifts subscriptions and other assistance with the view of promoting the objects of the organization and in taking of any gift or property to take the same subject to any special trust which may be prescribed by the donor thereof.
- To establish an endowment fund to receive grants, donations, gifts and other assistance in any form whatsoever from Kenya or any other source for any one or more of the objectives of the organization and to establish and establish non-profit making foundations in any country or countries for the purpose of receiving donations from private and corporate persons and channeling the same to the organizations development operation.
- To promote or assist in the promotion of any organization or company or other body having objects similar to those of the organization.
- To establish or assist in the establishment of schools and other educational Centres, and libraries and to publish newsletters, brochures, periodicals, books and other publications as the board of the organization may deem desirable for the promotion of the objects of the organization.
- to …………………………………………..techniques and assist them acquire managerial skills.
- To employ advisors, experts and other staff for all or any of the objects of the organization.
- To do all such other things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of any of the above objects.
- Sustainable agricultural development.
- Institutional capacity building.
- Environmental conservation programmes
- Water and sanitation
- Promotion of democratic institutions
- Capacity building in various skills
- Enhancement of policy dialogue.
- Poverty and basic needs
- Community health care
- Environmental and natural resources management.
- Promotion of education for life.
- Employment creation for the community.
- Awareness creation and sensitization.
- Capacity building and development.
- Research policy studies and networking.
- Advocacy and lobbying
- Information, communication dissemination and documentation.
- Technical back-stopping and advice.
The ultimate responsibility of running the organization lies with the board members to which all major decisions must be referred.
The board of members in consultation with the members makes the policies to run the organization. The board together with project committee and VDC (task forces) Implement the community decisions and oversee the day-to-day running of the community initiated projects.
MACODEP shall have a secretariat headed by the Executive director. The director assisted by other officers who include Field coordinator, human resources development coordinator, micro-financing coordinator, administrative and accounts officer, programmes secretary and office messenger who makes sure that all community initiatives are well planned, provided with the technical support, well coordinated and carried out as the Community Action Plans (CAP),Village Action plans (VAP) and Household Action Plans (HAP).
The secretariat also have the responsibility to ensure that the beneficiaries are well mobilized, organized and involved actively at all levels of the community initiatives.
The programme has adopted the collaborative system to seek some technical inputs support from different government ministries and other development agencies which facilitate realization of the Programmes objects.
MACODEP has a pool of facilitators trained in different disciplines among others;
- Participatory development planning through participatory rural appraisal tools.
- Agricultural marketing and economics
- Environmental improvements
- Health and sanitation including HIV/AIDS and support of PLWHAs and OVC.
- Sociology i.e. community development, project management, Gender and advocacy, Human rights and civic education.
- Leadership and management skills
- Micro-enterprise development
- Food processing and technology
- Participatory monitoring and evaluation
The facilitators who are associate members of MACODEP give voluntary support to community and village resource management teams being serviced bby the programme. They also provide consultant services.
The Programme has two categories of membership.
- Group based membership
- Individual membership
Group based membership
The include village development organizations (VDOs), community based organizations (CBOs), self help Groups (SHGs) and other institutions.
To qualify for membership, a group has to observe the following;
- Must be registered and recognized by the government.
- Must have a well defined and comprehensive constitution.
- Must be operating a bank account with well kept books of accounts.
- Must have a sound and active committee.
- Must have a specific project aiming at improving the community members standards of living.
- The group, village members must be meeting regularly.
- Must apply to MACODEP for membership or partnership and service attaching to the application copies of
- Registration certificates
- Bank statement
- Minutes endorsing the application.
- Must be ready to start and contribute in cash, materials and labour towards their own development projects.
- Pay membership fee of cash Kshs. 1000.00.
- Pay annual subscription of cash Kshs. 500.00.
For individual members willing ti become associates, partners or practitioners of MACODEP in accordance with the set objectives and policies in promoting community development will be required to;
- Apply to the programme attaching comprehensive curriculum vitae.
- Pay membership fee of Kshs. 2000.00
- Pay annual subscription of Kshs. 500.00
Partnership and Collaboration
MACODEP wishes to share its mission with friends and well wishers. It works with all people regardless of race, creed, religion, ethnicity, denomination, gender or colour to enhance the development in partnership with love.
MACODEP will collaborate with the government departments and other development agencies, individuals with the same objectives and working in similar areas of concerns. It will also encourage exchange programmes with the agencies both locally and international with the view of facilitating a learning process.
- Chairman- Benjamin Shollo-
- Secretary- Julius Fondo –
- Treasurer- Andrew Fumo-
- Catherine Nduku-
- Phillip Unda-
- Edward Medza-
- Julie Tei –
- Charo Kadzungu-
- Daniel Muoki-